- PRESENTED BY Monument Multi-Media, LLC
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS Steven K. Kendrick, John Fedack and Cam Killebrew
- PRODUCER/DIRECTOR William VanDerKloot
- PROGRAM 1 Hour Special Documentary
- WORKING TITLE “KILLER” The Harmon Killebrew Story
- LOCATIONS We will travel throughout the US to film significant places in the life of Harmon Killebrew and interview the people who knew him. Among his home town in Peyette, Idaho, we will be filming the majority of the film in Minneapolis, MN, Killebrew’s home for most of his professional life and career.
- WHO The project will include interviews with many people close to Killebrew including his friends, family and teammates. Will will also talk with people who knew him as a player, sports journalists, officials and others. We will speak with people who were touched by his kindness and character.
- PRODUCTION Bill VanDerKloot has been recognized as a producer of high quality productions and honored by over a hundred industry awards, including the George Foster Award, considered the Pulitzer Prize of Broadcasting.
- THE STORY The first complete broadcast documentary to tell the life story of baseball great, Harmon Clayton Killebrew, one of the most prolific home run hitters in the history of major league baseball. During his 22-year career in the Majors, Killebrew was a prolific power hitter who, at the time of his retirement, was second only to Babe Ruth in AL home runs. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1984. During the 1960’s Killebrew hit 40 home runs in a season, eight times. His finest season was 1969, when he hit 49 home runs and recorded 140 RBIs. Killebrew led the league six times in home runs and three times in RBIs, and was named to eleven All-Star teams.
- HARMON’S CHARITY OF CHOICE, THE MIRACLE LEAGUE In addition to his legendary accomplishments in baseball, Harmon’s heart and passion were moved to help those less fortunate. He supported numerous charities but his Charity of Choice was The Miracle League.The Miracle League serves children and adults with any physical or mental disability, which causes them to be excluded, whether intentionally or not, from conventional Baseball leagues. Harmon devoted the last few years of his life raising awareness and funds to build several Miracle Fields throughout the US. In 2015, The Harmon Killebrew Miracle Field was completed fulfilling his wish for a Miracle League Field be completed in his hometown, Payette, Idaho.
THE MAKING OF THE DOCUMENTARY
VanDerKloot Film & Television, Inc., is a creative production firm that specializes in design, consultation, and production of digital media projects for broadcasting, advertising, communications, education and entertainment.
Our clients include broadcast networks, Fortune 500 companies, advertising agencies, global non-profits, museums and libraries.
Headed by filmmaker William VanDerKloot, our team has won over 100 industry awards, including Emmy Awards, Clio Awards, and the George Foster Peabody Award, considered the “Pulitzer Prize of broadcast journalism.”
The Harmon Killebrew Story
KILLER will tell the story of Harmon Killebrew’s life and times as champion baseball player through the voices of many people – who knew him, those who watched him play, and those who were touched by his humanity. KILLER is more than just a biography of Harmon Killebrew, it is a story of a special man with a rare combination of talent, character and kindness. A man who brought a whole new level of class to America’s Pastime. The program is a celebration of that man; a celebration of that era in baseball history, and a celebration of the game itself.
The thread of the story will be told through first-person interviews with people who knew Harmon – teammates, friends, family, etc. We will also interview sportswriters and other media people who followed his career, including League officials, as well as experts in the physics of baseball and the game itself. The interviews will form the backbone of the program, which will be augmented by archival game footage, as well as general footage, photographs and music from the period to establish a sense of time and place.
KILLER will be a compelling portrait of a very special sportsman who went on to make a significant impact on the world of major league baseball and beyond.